Get ready to get sweaty my friends! Here’s a 40 minute full body workout for days when you just want to take it up a notch. For best results sub into your weekly routines one time a week (aim for 2-3 additional days of high intensity/total body workouts).
The value that interval and total body training provide is extremely high! Doing intervals of high/low intensity helps your body increases the afterburn effect on your body for hours after your workout is over! Why spend time running or walking at a steady pace for an hour where you will only burn what you see on the machine? Why not add 20 minutes back into your busy life and increase caloric burn all day long!
This workout has 2 parts: Part 1 Cardio & Part 2 Weight Training
Treadmill disclaimer: These are the speeds I am comfortable with, so please adjust accordingly to fit your fitness levels. Just remember with intervals, aim to be able to talk just fine when jogging and pick up the intensity during the sprint phases for max results. Feel free to substitute treadmill for elliptical or bike if you prefer.
WORKOUT PART 1: Cardio
Warm-up (2-5 minutes): Treadmill walk at comfortable pace (3.0-3.5 mph/1% incline)
Workout: (15 minutes): Up incline to 1%-1.5%
- 1 minute JOG or easy run (6.3 mph)
- 40 seconds full on RUN (7.2 mph)
- 20 seconds SPRINT (7.7-8.0 mph)
Repeat 5X above (approx 15 minute mark)
For the last 5 minutes begin a Walk/Run routine giving your glutes, calves and legs some attention:
- Ease at JOG pace for 1 minute
- Every 30 seconds reduce speed by .2mph and UP incline by .5% (stop when you get to about 3.5mph-3.8mph)
- Once you hit 10% incline reverse back down dropping every 30 secs the incline by 1%
Recover (2-5 minutes) : Stay at 0%-1% incline reduce speed to 2.5mph-3.2mph)
WORKOUT PART 2: Weight Training
You may use dumbbells or cables for this routine (I used one of the cable pulley systems at my gym)
Tri Set ( repeat 3x increasing weights each set 8lb-10lb, 10-12lb, 12-15lb)
- Front Raises – 12-15 reps with 8lb weights
- Squat/Rows – 15 reps each arm. Squat while doing single arm rows 10lbs. Maintain squat while you switch arms.
- Tricep Overhead Press – 15 reps 10lbs – While bent over/back straight pull cable with both arms over head until arms are straight. (you should feel it in the back of your arms upon each extension).
Ab Rotation: 15 Rotations each side, repeat 2x. Pull cable or weight across torso with both arms. Should feel entire core twisting.
Cool down: stretch out arms and legs. I like downward dog, deep lunges, and traditional arm stretches.
Hope you enjoy this workout! Let me know if you find it valuable!