Eating a well-balanced healthy diet doesn’t mean you have to compromise enjoyable foods for boring salads, unsavory cottage cheese or the same apple or banana every day. Adding variety to your diet is essential in maintaining a healthy well-rounded diet that will keep you on the right track.
Image via Flickr by Freddy
So often people fall into the boring trap when “eating healthy” and end up falling off the wagon. There are tons of colorful and flavorful options of fruits, nuts, yogurt and vegetables sure to keep you enjoying your healthy plan.
Here are just 5 of the many options you can add to diversify your diet and enhance the flavor while eliminating the bore:
- Yogurt – participants in a study done by everydayhealth.com lost a surprising amount of weight by simply incorporating yogurt. Worth noting, plain Greek yogurt has 80 calories per 5 oz. serving. (This tasty treat has the added bonus of energy-enhancing B vitamins and are high in protein!)
- Pumpkin Seeds – these crunchy snacks are packed with Magnesium, which helps keep your energy and metabolism nice and high. A perfect mid-day pick-you-up!
- Cherries – these help with muscle inflammation and pain, so when you’re feeling the burn after a hard workout, pop a cherry. (Tip: dice cherries into plain yogurt to kick up the flavor factor.)
- Edamame – these baby soybeans are iron powerhouses, which means improved brain function. Among 113 women tested in a Pennsylvania State University study, even mild iron deficiency. produced a case of “where the eff are my keys?” When iron levels were revived, test scores improved.
- Apples – according to The Huffington Post, apples help with cholesterol, ulcerative colitis, breast cancer prevention and general life span extension!
Next time you pack that plain Jane salad for work add some pumpkin seeds and Edamame to pack in the nutrients while adding a tasty edge.
What other foods have you added to your diet that nix the boring and make eating healthy fun? Share with us!
– Kate Milde, Contributing Writer