With the Fourth of July Celebrations filling up your calendars this week, you will probably have to navigate through a few outdoor parties. This fun summer holiday doesn’t have to be filled with poor food choices, however. Check out these 5 topics for helping you grill healthfully!
Trim that Fat!
- “Use well-trimmed, lean cuts of meat, such as flank steak or sirloin steak.
- Heart-healthy olive oil protects leaner foods from drying out during high-heat cooking by helping to hold in natural moisture” (1)
Use a Marinade!
- “…adding spices, such as thyme, sage, and garlic, can reduce the amount of total HCAs [an agent directly involved in causing cancer, a carcinogen] by 60%…”
- “Marinating beef in red wine for six hours before grilling decreased the amount of carcinogens—40% fewer than in beef that wasn’t marinated—according to a study by the University of Porto in Portugal.” (2)
Microwave it First?!?
- Sure enough… “Studies have shown that microwaving meat for two minutes prior to cooking decreased HCAs by 90%. Just remember to throw out the juice—that’s where the HCAs lurk.” (2)
Be Condiment Conscious
- “Ketchup contains lycopene, a natural cancer fighter. Choose organic options without high fructose corn syrup.
- Mustard is not only low in calories, but also contains mustard seeds, which help reduce inflammation (this is good for achy joints and heart health).
- BBQ sauce adds great flavor, but be sure to buy brands with tomatoes, not sugar or high fructose corn syrup, as the first ingredient.” (3)
Healthy Grilling Foods
- Protein: chicken breast, lean pork chop, shrimp, salmon
- Starches: fingerling potatoes, jicama
- Fruit: pineapple ring, peaches
- Veggies: corn, eggplant, zucchini
Contributing Writer, HoneyCrunched Kate Milde
1) Better Homes & Gardens: http://www.bhg.com/health-family/weight-loss/diets/healthy-grilling-tips/
2) Health.com: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20400685_2,00.html
3) Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dawn-jackson-blatner-rd-cssd-ldn/healthy-grilling_b_862590.html
4) True Lemon: http://www.truelemon.com/live-healthy/slimming-down/287-healthy-grilling-tips.html