It’s getting warmer, and the temptation to lounge poolside with a nice cold cocktail is growing ever stronger. Many ladies think, “If it has fruit in it, it must be better for me than the other drinks out there! This is a dangerous train of thought.
You need to watch your liquor levels – each shot has about 100 calories! Substituting a “Skinny” liquor saves you 70 calories per shot compared to common brands, if you are anything like me and like to enjoy a good buzz without the guilt.
I’ve picked out three top summer cocktails from www.Health.com, and modified them so you won’t hurt your bikini-wearing goals while enjoying them:
1) Sangria (Approx. Calories per Serving: 123)
Red wine contains antioxidants that may help prevent heart disease. Don’t forget to eat the fruit garnish for an extra dose of vitamin C!
Ingredients: Makes 1 pitcher (20 drinks)
- 1 (1.5-liter) bottle red wine
- 1 cup rum
- Lime Mix (1 cup fresh, strained lime juice + 1-1/2 cups Splenda + 1-1/2 cups water)
- 1½ cups orange juice
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda (such as Sprite) or Collins mixer lemon-lime seltzer
- 3 oranges & 5 limes, sliced into wedges for garnish
Directions: Combine first 4 ingredients and refrigerate overnight. Add lemon-lime seltzer no more than an hour before serving. To serve, pour sangria into ice-filled glasses, and garnish each with orange and lime slices.
2) Grapefruit Mocktail, By Bridget Rush, Rockaway, N.Y. (Approx. Calories per Serving: 86)
This light and refreshing drink is alcohol-free, but it could easily be a mixer for vodka or rum.
- 3 oz. red grapefruit juice
- 3 oz. cranberry juice
- 2 oz. seltzer
- Wedge of lime
- Sprig of mint
Directions: Mix grapefruit, cranberry juices in a shaker with ice. Pour into tall glass, add 2 oz. seltzer. Finish off with wedge of lime. You can add a sprig of mint too.
3) Slim Screwdriver, By Elizabeth Sprague, Altamont, N.Y. (Approx. Calories per Serving: 80)
Diluting the orange juice with diet 7-Up cuts calories and adds a nice fizz. This drink is ideal in warm weather.
- Orange-flavored Vodka
- Orange juice
- Diet 7-Up or Lemon-Lime Seltzer
- Oranges, sliced for garnish
Directions: Fill a glass with ice, add a shot of vodka and a splash of orange juice. Fill the rest with diet 7-Up/seltzer. Mix. Garnish with a slice of orange.
Do you know of any other tasty low-cal cocktail options? Please share them here; we’d love to see what you are drinking! Cheers!
Contributing Writer, HoneyCrunched Kate Milde