I am super excited to try a recipe tonight’s I had seen Giada De Laurentiis make the other day on Food Network. I had purchased a butternut squash before finding her recipe and was wondering what I should do with it. Below is the recipe it sounds excellent and am hoping it tastes as delightful too! If it’s as good as in sounds i may have found a new exciting holiday dish!
1 Butternut Squash – de seed and cut into cubes
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese – or a 1/4 cup of reduced fat parmesan cheese works ok too
1/4 cup basil pesto (homemade or store-bought… in my case store-bought)
1-2 tablespoons of a light butter (your preference)
non-stick spray for baking dish
1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Spray 8 inch baking dish with non stick.
3. Place a large pot of water with a steamer rack on the stove. Throw in the steamer rack all the butternut squash cubes and cook until soft (about 20 min)
4. Blend the steamed squash in a food blender or mixer with a little salt and pepper to taste
5. Pour 1/2 of the squash mixture into the baking dish.
6. Spread 1/2 the pesto all over the layer of squash.
7. Add half the parmesan cheese on top of the pesto
8. Add the rest of the squash on top layering it like a casserole
9. Followed by the rest of your pesto. Spread to form an even top layer. You can even get creative with a toothpick and lightly swirl in the top layer of pesto squash.
10. Add the rest of the parmesan cheese and 1-2 tablespoons of butter and heat until starting to lightly brown for approx 40 minutes.
Here’s the recipe from Food Network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-squash-gratin-recipe/index.html