With the winter creeping up on us with its cold air our bodies can’t help but switch modes into wanting heartier, warm and filling foods as opposed to the light, airy spring/summer foods (the healthy ones) like fruits and crisp salads. This makes it additionally challenging to eat healthy in those months when all our body wants is some nice warm chicken pot pie or cornbread or stew. The recipe I’m about to give you is one of my all times favorites. It’s a great well-rounded entree and needs next to nothing paired beside it to make it fulfilling. It gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling inside and doesn’t sabotage your diet! So here it is and i hope you enjoy it as much as I do:
Ingredients: (recipe for 1)
Spinach (frozen/thawed is best but if fresh you will need to cook it down first)
Feta cheese (reduced fat – I personally like trader Joe’s fat free alternative)
optional seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 375. Meanwhile in a small mixing bowl combine spinach (I like a lot of spinach as it cooks down next to nothing), feta cheese, and 1 serving of light mayo. Stir until all ingredients are condensed into a paste like substance.
2. Pull out your chicken breast and cut in half stopping before going all the way through so you form a pocket with the breast.
3. Stuff the chicken with the spinach/feta mixture and wrap the breast to hold the inside mixture in place with the turkey bacon (2 strips is perfect)
4. Spray a cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray and sit breast in the middle of tray.
5. Pop in over and set to cook for approx 45 minutes. You will know it’s done when the cheese starts to lightly brown up top and the chicken is no longer pink.
6. Enjoy! It’s also great paired with boiled potatoes or a small baked sweet potato and side of veggies.