We all know how great quinoa is for us. It’s one of the only carbohydrate types that has a solid amount of protein per serving. I decided to get a box and play around with a recipe for a cold salad to suit my taste. The title is deceptive however calling it a “salad”. It is a cold salad but does not contain all those leafy and bulky greens/veggies that generally accompany that title. It’s still healthy nonetheless. Hope you enjoy:
Quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked)
1 can drained/rinsed chickpeas
Kalamata olives (10-15 diced up into 1/3rd’s)
Red pepper (1/3 diced)
Red Onion (1/3 diced)
Tomato (1/3 diced)
1/2 Garlic Clove (ground)
Dash of Salt
Ground black Pepper (to taste)
Feta cheese (topping – to taste)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
Lemon (1/2 of a lemon squeezed)
* Diced 1/3 cucumber optional
Directions (makes 4 servings):
1. Cook quinoa on stove with 1 cup water boiling and reducing to a simmer until tender. Let cool.
2. In the meantime drain and rinse out the container of chickpeas. Dice red peppers, onion, olives, tomatoes and cucumber. Chop garlic up finely and set aside.
3. Once quinoa has cooled mix in all of the ingredients above. Add in the Dijon Mustard and Olive Oil stirring until blended.
4. Finely chop parsley and mix in.
5. Squeeze lemon into container and add salt/pepper to taste.
6. Stick in the fridge and let cool for 1-2 hours. Enjoy!